:: Section 4
Guidelines to Use the Simulator Program
The OPC Simulator Program consists of two major displays: Setup Screen
and the Size Distribution Display screen. On starting the simulator, the
user will first enter the Setup Screen. This is the analog of the front
panel of the instrument. The following parameters should be selected:
- Sample Flow Rate (this is the flow rate of the aerosol). Enter in
window labeled "FLOW RATE"
- Sampling Time (the time for which the particles will be counted.
Note that if concentrations are high, it is advisable to use a shorter
sampling time to prevent saturation of the accumulators that keep track
of particle counts). The numbers are entered in the window labeled "TIME
- The window labeled "PARTICLE COUNT" represents the maximum
counts of particles that can be displayed. This affects the sensitivity
and is based on the capacity of the electronic registers.
- The window labeled SIZE INTERVAL should be appropriately selected
based on the size range of interest. OPC can readily measure particles
above a certain size range, and the user should select this based on
the application area.
- The user should also indicate what system is being measured. If the
program is used in an integrated fashion with the CYCLONE program, the
size distributions could be measured at the inlet, midsection and outlet
of the cyclone. If the program is being used as a standalone, there
are some typical size distributions that can be selected - such as the
size distribution of the ambient aerosol in St. Louis, or that at the
exhaust of a coal combustion system, etc.
- SELECTED CHANNEL is one channel whose count is displayed during the
This is self explanatory and displays the particle counts after all
the set up parameters are selected. After the sampling is completed the
size distribution can also be printed out, or viewed in tabular form.