:: Section 1
After reviewing this module, you should be able to:
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of administering medications via aerosols.
- Explain how the following physical properties affect medicinal particle deposition: (a) Gravity, (b) Temperature, (c) Humidity, (d) Breathing pattern, (e) Inspirtaory flow rate.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of various aerosol generators: (a) Small Volume Nebulizer (SVN), (b) Meter Dose Inhaler (MDI), (c) Dry Powder Inhaler (DPI).
- Discuss the proper technique for delivering medicine using (a) SVN, (b) MDI, (c) DPI.
- Explain the quantity of lung deposition and methods to enhance delivery; discuss how a therapist measures the efficacy of drug administration.
- Explain how to selectively target deposition within the lungs at the upper airways, bronchioles, or alveoli level.
- List examples of drugs you may preferentially administer within the lungs and determine the site of deposition.
- Determine the advantage of using a spacer device when using an MDI.
- Discuss the impact of different gases (air, oxygen and heliox gas) used to power the small volume nebulizer.
- Discuss the disadvantages of CFC (chlorofluorocarbons) and HFA (hydrofluoroalkanes) and the lung deposition difference between CFC and HFA.